Awaken – Music
Thank you for your interest in submitting your music for the Awaken exhibit. Below you will find eligibility and submission information.
SEEK2019 “Awaken” Art, Poetry and Music Entry
Submission Deadline: November 15, 2018 Deadline extended through November 28
Finalists/Winners Notified: December 1, 2018
Eligibility: Only college students are eligible to win. FOCUS missionaries may enter to have their music be a part of the awaken experience, just not the competition.
“Encounter Something More”
“What are you looking for?” John 1:29-42
Conversion is a powerful moment. Often we remember certain people, smells and details that we savor surrounding moments of conversion. For the apostle John, he remembered the time of day he met Jesus (John 1:39). Take a moment to reflect on John 1:29 –42 and create in artform something that evokes a conversion story. Maybe it’s your conversion? Maybe it’s your friend’s conversion. Maybe it’s a saint’s conversion? Conversion inspires us, challenges us and consoles us to see God at work in our life. We are excited to see what the Holy Spirit inspires you to create!
May St. John Paul II inspire us with his words:
“..it is up to you, men and women who have given your lives to art, to declare with all the wealth of your ingenuity that in Christ the world is redeemed: the human person is redeemed, the human body is redeemed, and the whole creation which, according to Saint Paul, “awaits impatiently the revelation of the children of God” (Rom 8:19), is redeemed. The creation awaits the revelation of the children of God also through art and in art. This is your task. Humanity in every age, and even today, looks to works of art to shed light upon its path and its destiny.”
We are accepting all original musical compositions/songs (instrumental or lyrical) via video audition. You may include a second video describing the inspiration behind the song and its meaning.
Each song entered should be within 2 – 5 minutes in length.
All musical works should be in a format that will allow for live performance (i.e., you can perform it on site at the SEEK2019 Hub Stage). The song submitted for video audition needs to be the same song that is performed live for final auditions.
*Sound equipment provided on site includes one (1) keyboard, one (1) acoustic guitar and three (3) vocal microphones. Any additional equipment needed must be provided by the musician and approved by FOCUS prior to arrival at SEEK2019.
Students: Student finalists who are selected will be a contestant in the “Awaken Competition” on the Hub Stage at SEEK2019. Four winners will be selected by a panel compiled of judges, including “Origin” producer, Shawn Williams from Papercastle Records (http://www.papercastlerecords.com/seek2019).
Missionaries/Alumni/Lifelong Mission Participants: Finalists who are selected will have the opportunity to perform on the Hub Stage at SEEK2019.
“Awaken Competition” Prize – Students ONLY: The student winners will be given an opportunity to record their song as a part of a FOCUS student initiative album with Shawn Williams at Papercastle Records (www.papercastlerecords.com) in Nashville, TN. A full-day recording session at Shawn’s studio, a single production package and a travel stipend up to $500 to get you to and from Nashville.
Single Production Package
- Audio Engineer(s)
- 1 – 3 Session Musicians (most of our players are multi-instrumentalists)
- Mixing Engineer
- Mastering Engineer
- Studio Time & Gear Rental
- Project Manager
- Post Recording Connections (get connected to our CD pressing company, digital distributors, and other service providers to share your music with the world)
- Mastered WAV files of each song
- Full Version + Alternate Versions
Music Entry directions:
- You must enter online. All entries must be submitted via video with audio. There is a limit of (1) one submission per person.
- Mailed-in audio files will not be accepted.
- All participating musicians must be attending SEEK2019 for entries to be accepted.
- All musicians chosen must be able to perform their music at a live, acoustic set on the Awaken Stage at SEEK2019.
- The following are welcome to submit entries:
- Students (Considered for participation in “Awaken Competition”)
- FOCUS missionaries (Considered for performance slot on Hub Stage)
- Finalists will be determined by Dec. 1.